Avicenna Tajik State Medical University was founded in the year of 1939 with the name Abu Ali Ibn Sino University as School of Medical Personnel.
In the sixth year of functioning, this university was allocated leading disciplines like therapy, surgery, obstetrics, and gynecology, during the years 1950-1959 the University has renamed as Avicenna Tajik State Medical Institute, but still recognized in different part of the world as (Tajik Abuali Ibn Sino State Medical University)
By the beginning of 1989, there were 51 doctors and 326 candidates of sciences working at the institute, and there were 70 faculties and 10 courses were functioning. In the year 1992, the Tajik State Medical Institute received the status of Tajik State Medical University after the name of Avicenna.
Till 2009 the ATSMU was training the specialist on six years program in Medical faculty,
In the year 2010 ATSMU started the 5 years complete MBBS program (with internship) for foreign Medical students.
Avicenna Tajik State Medical University is the largest university of Medical Sciences in Tajikistan.